"You are important enough to ask and you are blessed enough to receive back. "
- Wayne Dyer
Do you love to be uniquely styled almost always? Are you a fan of embroidered pieces of denim and cotton? Do you feel it is hard to find eye-catchy embroidery designed T-shirts anywhere in any of the markets near you? If these questions are what you actually experience, then here is good news for you! In the next few lines, you are going to realize how easy and interesting it is to hand-embroider t-shirts. By the way, if you learn it right, you need not depend on any of the markets, but you can actually introduce your innovative designs in the market!
Before you Begin
There is a short list of things you would need to do before you actually start to design a t-shirt or start your project of t-shirt making.
- Stabilizer- It is the first and the most important thing that you need to get home from the market. Stabilizer makes the fabric stable and ready for your artwork.
- Iron- It is important to note that, there happens to be a huge difference when your base-material is ironed well. The quality of your embroidery is upgraded.
- Embroidery hoop- Using an embroidery hoop for your artwork helps you to hold your base cloth (t-shirt) tight. This in turn also eliminates the gaps and flaws in your art.
- Needle- It is recommended to use needles with round-end for embroidering on T-shirts.
Start your designing
Designing for embroidery starts by using the stabilizer. There are two types of stabilizers that you can use to create custom shirts or t-shirts.
- Water Soluble Stabilizer- This type of stabilizer has a peeling-off back which can be stuck on the base fabric.
- Removable Stabilizer- It can be ironed on the shirt to get the required shapes on the base-fabric. The remaining part of the stabilizer can be torn out.
The stabilizer has to be placed where the embroidery stitching needs to be done. It is to be highlighted that the stabilizer has to be placed at the inner side of the base-cloth. Keeping the stabilizer and the base-cloth smooth and without any folds, large stitches with the needle and the thread can be made.
Types of Embroideries
The type of embroidery completely depends upon your taste of styling and fashion. While it doesn’t have any defined list, some important types can be highlighted.
- Logo Embroidery- One of the most famous forms of embroidery is the custom logo embroidery. It is usually done by various organizations, institutes, and brands. It definitely has a large market opening.
- Creative Embroidery- This includes creative designs like colorful flowers, leaves, unique shapes, etc.
- Antique Embroidery- This is the form of embroidery that has become famous recently but has its roots back in ancient times. The embroidery designs that were created by royal families are now getting demand amongst the youngsters.
- Embroidery Printing- It is when the threads of embroidery are stitched in custom products like t-shirts, hats, caps, shirts, or napkins.
By using these types of embroidery as a reference you can nudge your own creative mindset to come up with more unique embroidery designs for t-shirts. Such custom embroidered t-shirts are one of the most fast-selling items today.
T-shirt printing and embroidery
It is a great idea to have the complete t-shirt customized as per your choice of designs. There are a number of vendors who provide the service of fast t-shirt printing. Once the T-shirt is printed as per your design, doing the embroidery is the only creative aspect that is left.
The Real Art
The embroidery stitches are the real challenge. While you have the thread in your needle that is to be stitched on the base-cloth you will need to pass it through two layers- the stabilizer and the cloth of the t-shirt. While doing so, make sure that the thread doesn’t move and remains tight. Also, remember to loosen the embroidery hoop once you are done with stitching or when you wish to pause.
With all the mentioned tips taken under consideration, you are going to have your first amazing embroidered t-shirt in your hands soon!